Friday, September 13, 2013

Now I Know My ABC's

Getting started with letters is a little more tricky. There is no time like "potty time" to get started. When you are making those billion 5-10 minute trips to the potty, it's a perfect time to have some learning time.

As soon as my daughter was introduced to the potty I put an ABC strip up on the wall. Any time we sat down I would quiz her. We started with the letters in her name. We also pointed to the letters while we sang the ABC songs.

There are several alphabet songs you can choose from. We kept it interesting and used all of them.
     Alphabet song---traditional
     Super Why's ABC song
     Jesus ABCs
     Christian ABCs
     Elmo's ABCs
     Elmo's ABC rap

As soon as she learned the 5 letters of her name, we started adding more letters until she knew all 26. About every 1-3 days we added a new letter.

Driving is a perfect time to get your little one practicing their letters. The McDonald's arches, letters on highway signs, and of course you can't miss the car brand letters: H for Honda, F for Ford and V for Volkswagen!


Searching cereal boxes and magazines are great ways to practice letters. We love the Zoobies and Zootles magazines from Zoobooks. We learn about animals and have fun with letters too!


We love our alphabet cookie cutters too. We use them with cookies and play dough. I believe I found my set at Goodwill for $1.


My daughter also loves Starfall. It's a website full of ABC learning. Not only is she getting experience with letters and beginning sounds, but she is also getting computer learning in too!



One of my other favorites are the LeapFrog Alphabet movies. They are cute, fun and educational!!! I LOVE the farm one!!

 


Some great toys from LeapFrog that encourage independent practice:


 You can find other ideas on my Pinterest board: Now I know my ABCs.

     

No comments:

Post a Comment